Monday, January 17, 2011

Homesickness and Band Aids by Heather Byun

This was written by Heather.

When God shared His plan for us to move to Korea and to plant an international church, although it was a very difficult decision for us, since we loved our home, and our church so much, I did not think I would be homesick when I got to Korea.  After all, I grew up there and it was my home for 23 years!

When I first moved to the US, I remember imagining myself walking in certain streets in Korea all the time. People who came to the States before me told me that it was a sign that I was homesick.  Now, I am back in Korea, the land I missed so much and was homesick over, but I found myself continuously thinking about certain streets in Maryland and driving there.  I was homesick again!  This time, I was homesick for the US.  I could not believe myself!  I knew I would terribly miss my church family, but I did not know I would miss my home back in Maryland this much!

I found myself often thinking about what I would be doing if I were still in Maryland and I found it so discouraging.  When can I ever say I am finally home?  Do I need to wait until I die and get to heaven?  I felt so restless and hopeless. But then, I noticed something very interesting.

My third child, Joshie (3),  loves band aids, but ever since we moved to Korea, he loves them even more. I thought that it might be his own way of getting adjusted to Korea, so I just left him alone, but it was becoming more interesting.  He would put a band aid on for anything anywhere, even when he does not even have a scratch.  He puts two or three band aids in his pocket when we go out just in case. No matter what happens, he runs to a drawer where band aids are and after he put his band aid on, he is okay.

One time, he was peeling an orange and the juice went into his eyes. I heard him crying, but all of a sudden, he stopped crying, so I just looked at him to check if everything was okay. And when I saw him...  Oh my...  He put a band aid on his eye and he could not even see anything!  I so wish I had a picture of him!  I laughed so hard and I cannot stop laughing even now while I am writing this blog.

God really spoke to me through this incident. Joshie was able to find his own rest with the band aids. No matter what, he would run to his band aids and then all of a sudden, he was okay. What about me?  What is my band aid?  I want to share this one hymn song.  It goes like this.

What matters where on earth we dwell?  On mountaintop or in the dell. In cottage or a mansion fair, Where Jesus is 'tis Heaven there.
Oh hallelujah, yes, 'tis Heav'n to know my sins forgiv'n;  On land or sea, what matters where?  Where Jesus is, 'tis Heaven there. (Since Christ My Soul From Sin Set Free-내 영혼이 은총 입어)

I have my band aid, too. Why do I keep forgetting and trying everything else when I could just run to my band aid, Jesus!  Why do I always doubt that this band aid is more than enough for me and it really works all the time!

I am trying to settle down in Korea, hoping that this time, it will be really our home, but who knows?  God may move us again. But, why would it matter?  Where Jesus is, that is my home, my rest, and my Heaven!  I just need to run to my band aid wherever I am and I will be home. So... Yes!  I am finally home!  Jesus,  please help me always always run to you no matter what!

Here is a picture of Joshie.


Joshie with Joey

Joshie enjoying the sun in Maryland
Joshie clowning around


No comments:

Post a Comment