Yesterday was a pretty rough day. The kids are just not adjusted to the time difference and they all get up at various times throughout the night. As they take turns, we (Heather and me), are up pretty much all night. We both now have gone about 4 straight days averaging about 3 hours of sleep. It all really started with the pack and move. We had to not only pack, but also clean our home in MD so even on the day of departure, we both got only about 15-30 minutes of sleep that night. Since I have such a hard time sleeping on the plane, it has been tough to go so long without good rest.
The worse part of all this is that I have developed several sores all over the inside of my mouth. This is not good because there are so many good foods that I know taste so good, but I can't really taste them. I can't really chew because it hurts so I just swallow.
I am praying and asking the Lord if this is because He wants me to fast. I was actually thinking about going on a 10-day fast, but did not want to do a fast just to do one, but wanted to see if God was indeed calling me to a fast. So I started to pray about it, and in my quiet time with the Lord, I come across Acts 10:13, "And there came a voice to him: 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.'" So that is why I did not start a fast. God said...EAT! I do know that I really need energy and physical strength right now. In any event, I will continue to pray and ask the Lord if He wants me to start a fast.
Last night, the kids all coordinated their efforts and got up at 3:50 a.m. After trying to put them back to sleep, I gave up around 4:45 a.m. They all got up and started to run around the home. Right at 5:15 a.m., we get a call from the apartment security telling us that the folks downstairs are complaining of the noise the children are making. We had to deploy divide and conquer tactics. Heather took Joey and Josh, Heather's mom took Kara, and I took Karis each to separate rooms and told them they had to go to sleep. Karis was the first to go back to sleep (1 down, 3 to go!). I then went to Heather's room and took Joshie while Heather took Joey. Kara then went to sleep (2 down, 2 to go!). Joey then went back to sleep (3 down, toughest one left!) and finally Joshie went down! Adults win! Score is now Kids 48, Adults 1!
Next Monday, we will be moving into our apartment. We are currently staying at Heather's parents' place. We realized that we have a new prayer request. We have to pray for the people who will live next to us and especially those who live underneath us. We will live on the 13th floor, so last night, as we were trying to put the kids to sleep, I started to pray in advance for the people who will live on the 12th floor right beneath us. I prayed that they will be very understanding and would be filled with grace and love for our kids. Perhaps they can even be future leaders at our church! Amen!
As we walk around the streets in Korea, everybody stares at us, and it is not because I look like a Hong Kong action movie star from the 80s. It is because it is very unusual for Koreans to have more than 2 kids, let alone 4! They always come up to us and ask us ,"Are they all yours?" When we say yes, they are in shock. I understand that the Korean government will pay parents several thousands of dollars for every child over 2 they have! I would be a rich man if I were a Korean citizen!
Last night, Heather's mom also got into a car accident on the Freeway. She is ok. Car is damaged a bit, but we are grateful that she is ok. However, it was a hard day for us yesterday.
We realized going to different places yesterday that we really cannot do much (get driver's license, open bank accounts, get reward point cards at E-Mart, etc) without obtaining a Foreigner's Immigration number. So, we will take pictures today and get all the things ready so we can go there early in the morning on Monday.
I have been meditating on Joshua 1:3 much these days. "Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses." I better get my walking shoes ready! Next week, I want to spend a good part of the mornings in prayer walking for the city.
We are thankful for the prayer support.
We know that there are some good days and some not so good days, but in all, praise be the Name of the Lord!
Thank you for reading.
Here is the picture from 10 years ago that make people think I look like a Hong Kong action movie star from the 80s.
BTW, I sent Georgetown Cupcakes an email with a photo of Joshie and the cupcakes. They thought it was cute.
Here is their response.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Georgetown Cupcake <georgetown@georgetowncupcake.com>
Date: Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: My son loves your cupcakes
From: Georgetown Cupcake <georgetown@georgetowncupcake.com>
Date: Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: My son loves your cupcakes
HI James,
Thanks so much for the photo! That is so cute!
Best,
Laura Pyatt
Catering Manager
Georgetown Cupcake
(202) 333-8448
www.georgetowncupcake.com
Home of "DC CUPCAKES" on TLC!!
Thanks so much for the photo! That is so cute!
Best,
Laura Pyatt
Catering Manager
Georgetown Cupcake
(202) 333-8448
www.georgetowncupcake.com
Home of "DC CUPCAKES" on TLC!!


Pastor James!
ReplyDeleteThat picture still cracks me up. I should go find a pair sunglasses like that =)
I'm glad to hear that you are adjusting to a new chapter of your life even through rough changes and events. I can't say that if it will be any easier from this point forward but I will continue to pray for you and your family to gain strength from God. I hope your sores heal up so you can enjoy the Korean cuisine deliciousness (so jealous).
I heard it's very cold in Korea already. Please remember to keep yourself warm when you go on your prayer walks.
-Isaac